Wednesday, June 26, 2013

An Argument for Arguing

Can we agree to something as a species?  Let’s decide to have our own opinions, make our own decisions, argue our points, and research new things.  Let’s also decide that our opinions can be polar opposites, and we can debate, throw out statistics, listen to each other’s arguments, maybe change our minds (but not necessarily), and then let’s stay friends regardless of how stupid we think the other person’s opinion is.  Can we decide that?

There’s something I’ve learned in my education psychology courses: talking AT someone about something isn’t really going to change anyone’s mind.  You run across this a lot with the sciences.  For example, let’s use the theory of evolution.  There is TONS of hard data (if we’re being grammatically correct, there are tons of hard data) that evolution is something that happens.  Peter and Rosemary Grant have spent decades in the Galapagos Islands literally watching the finches evolve over generations in response to natural selection.  We have fossil evidence that corresponds with genetic evidence that corresponds with geologic evidence.  We have evolved creatures through domestic breeding solely within the span of humans being on Earth (a very short time, geologically speaking).  Evolution is a very strong theory.  However, if you didn’t believe that evolution occurs at the start of this paragraph, I really doubt you believe it after reading it.  You can’t just tell someone that something is true; they need to learn it for themselves.

As humans we don’t like being told what to think, and I think that’s a great thing.  It encourages us to go out and learn about things from many different sources instead of just listening to what one person says.  On the other hand, as humans we also like to prove how smart we are to other humans.  I think that’s also great.  Go on and flex your cerebral cortex!  It’s only a problem when we decide that someone that disagrees with us is inherently a bad person.

Debate is a good thing.  I love hearing what other people think and how they got to that conclusion.  I don’t necessarily always agree, but I love looking at things in a different light.  Debate keeps us sharp, makes us think about our own arguments, makes us research and learn and grow.  However.  If, during the course of the debate, you try and force me into your way of thinking, I will get angry and shut down.  Sure, tell me about the research you did, tell me the statistics you found, tell me your gut feelings, but DO NOT decide that the purpose of the debate is to make me agree with you wholeheartedly. 

In order for me to change my mind, I need to research on my own.  Please, give me ideas of things to look up, point me in a direction, but do not think less of me if I never agree with you.  I think this is something we as humans need to realize.  Regardless of how eloquent you are, how strong your facts are, or how deep your speaking voice is, the person you are debating with needs to gain their own understanding in order to truly believe what you’re telling them.

Ha, I just realized how ironic this post is (if you think that was an improper use of ironic, go eat some ice cream and console yourself on the dilapidated state of English nowadays).  Anyways…Are you convinced?


Go out and learn!  Form new opinions!  Disagree with people!  Allow other people to think differently from you!  There is so much to learn from everyone else; let’s not try to make the world conform to one viewpoint.  Besides loving each other.  Everyone should be kind to their fellow homo sapiens.

1 comment:

  1. Shall we argue the wisdom of "running away" on the coldest night of the year with no coat?

    Dad

    ReplyDelete