Tuesday, July 9, 2013

I Was a Teenage Dirtbag, Baby


Some days I miss my short hair.  See, once upon a time I was daring and reckless and didn’t give a flying…fox… what anyone thought of me.  I used to have a mini mullet.  And I dyed it all the time.  I also used to walk around town wearing 3D glasses, diffraction glasses (that I stole from a Chemistry class – I called them my happy glasses), bright yellow puffy vests, American flag shoes…Really, I was fearless.

I also used to be up for doing crazy things.  I bought Nerf swords and my friends and I would have fights.  In public.  Like, where people could see us.  Fighting with children’s toys.  I’d steal signs from one end of campus and place them in the other end.  I’d skateboard around town with one of my best friends, even though I’m terrible at skateboarding and I looked like a total idiot.  One time, my cousin and I were walking around town and stopped to listen to some guys playing instruments in their living room.  And they invited us in, so we went in and played with them for a while.  Seriously, seriously reckless.


And some days, when I’m really feeling grown-up and boring, I miss those days.  See, I kind of changed once I met The Man.  I had crushes on guys before, and I had even made out with a few, but I never really felt like I was exciting or attractive or interesting enough to be something they wanted in their lives, so I acted crazy.  With The Man I didn’t need to be crazy; he actually liked me.  He also encouraged me to be the best person I could be.

Once I understood that I was likable, I started taking care of myself more.  I grew my hair out, I wore make-up, I DID my hair (that was a huge thing for me), I dressed better, and I started being less crazy in public.  And people seem to love my new image.  It seems like every time I see people that I knew during my crazy stage they say something like, “wow, you look so good!”  Or my personal favorite, “I didn’t recognize you…You were so quiet…”


The thing is, I don’t know which image is really me.  Maybe I really am this quiet, kind, loving person…Or maybe I’m not.  Maybe the inner me IS that mullet-rocking, Nerf-sword-fighting, yelling-penis-in-public girl that I used to be.  I guess it’s possible that I have a multiple-personality disorder too (kidding).

I was always so excited to grow up and be the mature version of me who did taxes, had a salary, paid bills, owned my own apartment, and made my own rules…but sometimes I feel like I’m not making my own rules.  Sometimes I feel like I’m stifling my true desires.  For example, we had a big thunderstorm recently.  I went outside and one of my male neighbors was dancing around shirtless in the parking lot.  He just looked so excited to be there, alone and dancing and happy…It was great.  I think the past me would have totally joined him, but the present me briefly mentioned something about “the crazy weather” to him, covered my head, and ran to my car as fast as possible. 


See, sometimes I just want to express myself, but I hold back.  I don’t want to feel ashamed about my desires to skip in public, chase birds down a beach, sing loudly as I walk down the street, and dance like a crazy person while listening to music in my car.  The times that I do let myself go, the people I’m with get embarrassed.  Well, good people of the world, be warned.  I am going to start being crazy again.  Not mullet hair or yelling penis loudly in public crazy, but I’m going to express my joy when I feel it again.  If you need me, I’ll be the person doing a poor rendition of the robot behind the wheel at red lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment