Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Worst Love Story Ever: Part 2

So where did I leave off?  My oh-so-smooth line?  K.

Turns out that line worked, and the super-cute guy that my friend had a crush on became the super-cute guy that I stole from my friend.  Two weeks after the kiss I convinced him that we needed to start dating by giving him the ultimatum of "either we start dating or we stop kissing."  Romantic, right?  A few weeks after that I started telling him that I loved him (because...I'm like that) and a few weeks after that he finally said, "I think I might be starting to love you too."  Which I decided to interpret as "I love you."  We ended up dating for a few months, and then I left to go back to school and my new man stayed home.

I'm not sure if you've heard this before, but long-distance relationships suck hardcore.  There was an upside of my lip-locking buddy being thousands of miles away though; I got straight A's that semester.  See, when you're depressed nobody wants to hang out with you, and you don't want to hang out with anybody.  You can either get a lot of TV watched or get a lot of work done, and luckily I didn't have Netflix.  After 6 weeks of not seeing him I called him up and told him that he either had to visit me or I'd break up with him because he wasn't serious about the relationship.  And...that worked out spectacularly for me because I lost a boyfriend that night.

The end.

Only you know that it's not because if you're reading this it's almost certain that you know me in real life and you know exactly what happened next.

See, I really liked this short but attractive man.  It wasn't just his impressive facial structure; from the very first time I had hung out with him it just felt...easy.  And right.  My older brother had always been my best friend, and when he left on a two-year mission for our church I had a hole in my heart where my best friend should have been.  The guy I stole replaced that missing portion of my heart.  He was funny, intelligent, kind, and helpful, and he became the best friend that I needed.

And that is why our break-up only lasted like...three days.  A while later we got married, and that guy I stole became The Man.
And he is just the best.
This was a couple of years ago; the only time I got him to do a fauxhawk.
So our love story isn't really as cute as most you hear, and it isn't a story I want my kids to emulate ("oh yeah, Suzy, go ahead and make moves on that boy and make out with him for weeks before committing"), but it's our story.  Oh, the proposal!

Remember that night hike I went on with him?  When I called my friend from The Man's phone?  Well when he proposed he took me back on that hike.  At night.  I knew it was coming, I just didn't know at what point he would get down on his knee.  Turns out it would be at the top of the hill, as I started heading down the other side.  He yanked on the hood of my sweatshirt from behind, and I jerked back a little bit, turned around, and saw him with the ring in his hand.  I can't even remember if he was on his knee or not...probably.  Who really cares though?

No comments:

Post a Comment