Thursday, August 21, 2014

Adventure vs Stability

There is a strange paradox that I’ve encountered; I feel a little short-changed because of my stable life.

Now, I don’t mean for this to be a “woe is me, I’m rich and white and life is so hard because of it” exposition, merely an opportunity to step back and see what is valued in life.

I grew up in a family where all of my siblings came from the same parents, and those parents are still together.  My father has been blessed with a good job, and consequently my mother has been able to spend her time at home with the kids.  For as long as I can remember, my parents have been homeowners, and those homes always had nice-sized yards.  I’m happily married to the first man I really dated.  Life has been very good to me, and yet I sometimes feel it’s not enough.

The best art seems to be about overcoming adversity, rising above the hand you’ve been dealt, and changing your life for the better…but what if you have a good life?

The Man and I recently watched “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.”  It’s a fun movie with a good soundtrack and it leaves you feeling uplifted.  At the same time though, I had a nagging thought in the back of my mind: his life wasn’t all that bad before his life-changing experience.

If you haven’t seen the movie, it’s about a man named Walter who works in a managerial position at Life magazine.  He’s close with his family, he’s paid relatively well (enough to not give a second thought to upgrading his mother’s living arrangements), he has friends that he works with, and he’s starting out a relationship with a pretty girl in his office.  And yet the movie hints that because he’s not out there flying across the world on a whim, he’s not fulfilling his destiny and he’s going to be bored and lonely forever.

It’s not really that uncommon of a theme, either.  I mean, yes, there’s the problem of people not living up to their potential, but I feel like a lot of media kind of demonizes an average life.  It’s not enough to have a stable life with a loving family – you need to be out there adventuring.

And you know what?  Adventuring is awesome!  It’s great to go to new places, to meet new people, and to be constantly learning new things.  But what about paying for those adventures?  What about when you find someone you love and you reach the “boring” part of the relationship?  If your whole life you’ve been trying to reach that higher plane at all times…a good life can seem like a bad thing.  Now of course, there are exceptions.  Some people have jobs that allow them to travel the world constantly.  Some people have significant others who also have that luxury and they’re the exciting traveling couple that you see on Facebook and get supremely jealous of.  Not many people are as jealous of the mum posting her 100th baby picture or the college student who just aced an exam.

So what do we value in life?  Do we value excitement and adventure and thrill-a-minute lives?  Or do we value families that settle down and live the “boring” life with full-time office jobs and lawns to mow and recitals to attend?  Is it honest to say that you can value one without looking down a bit on the other?


This is something I’ve been struggling with a lot lately.  I always wanted to be the adventurous type.  I like spontaneous trips and getting lost in new places.  I used to plan out weekend trips to places across the world like Ireland, New Zealand, Germany, and Greece.  And you know how far I’ve gotten?  Canada and Mexico.  Once to Hawaii, and that was a big deal for me.  And The Man hates traveling.  It’s hard because I WANT to be happy in this life I have.  I WANT to be okay being the housewife or even (gasp!) the working mum.  I WANT to enjoy quilting or scrapbooking or laundry or whatever it is you’re supposed to do when your husband is off at work and you’re stuck alone with your cat and your fetus and no money.  It’s just hard when everything seems to be telling me that I’m not living life to the fullest.

2 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, I had very similar thoughts when I was pregnant. I remember thinking my life was over, I'd never have a.great career, get to travel, or do anything fun again. I was very unhappy because of that, and I hate that I felt that way now. I felt that way partly because everything I read and saw was telling me that's how I should feel. But I promise, even if you don't get to travel the world and do all these things now that you are having a baby, you have so much joy ahead. And you can still do the things you want to. Babies aren't the end all. You can't really explain it until you experience it. And trust me, moms do more than quilt and wait for their husband to get home. Your baby will change your life and plans, but it doesn't mean it will ruin them. You just have to adjust, and that's not a bad thing. You can still be the same person and have the same goals :) Be the best mom you can, and don't feel like you have to fit into any stereotype of a mom. sorry about the soap box. But more or less, I know how you feel. But remember, the grass ain't always greener on the other side. Bloom where you are planted :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about this since I first read it, and I think I finally have my thoughts semi put together. Josh and I are a lot like you - we got married and we thought we'd spend our years having these crazy adventures. I can't tell you how many times Josh has applied for jobs out of the country, or on the other side of this country (did I tell you about the time that he actually got pretty far in the interview process for a job at BYU-Hawaii?). We expected our life together to be HUGE. And what we've come to learn is the adventure that our Father in Heaven has planned for us is right here. We very likely will live in this house in this neighborhood in this state that Josh hates for the next 50 years. And even though we love this little life, it's just not where we thought we would be. I think that's a lesson I will have to learn over and over again - my plans and my expectations mean absolutely nothing. Luckily, though, I've got this extremely loving God watching out for me who has a road map already planned out, and I just have to follow it. And even though it might not be taking me to where I thought I wanted to be, I know I'll be the happiest possible version of myself if I do. Maybe it doesn't mean that Josh and I will stop asking every once in awhile if it's okay if we move to New Zealand, but it does mean that I can ignore all the things and people telling me how foolish I am, and just be satisfied that this little life really is my perfect adventure. Aaanyway. Thanks for making me think about things like this. Most of the time these days my thoughts are cloudy and overwhelmed by the new person who's going to change EVERYTHING in just 50 days (or less!), so really... thanks for taking my mind off of that ;)

    ReplyDelete