Wednesday, September 18, 2013

A(nother) Rant

There’s a phrase I think we should all agree to stop using.  That phrase is “wait until you’re [insert a one-up here].” 

Maybe it’s just my stage in life, with all my friends having babies and people expecting me to do the same, but the one I get is “wait until you’re a mother” or “wait until you’re a parent.”  I didn’t realize how much it bugged me until recently. 

See, I believe that my feelings are valid.  Sure, maybe I’m not as tired as you or as stressed as you, but I am still PLENTY tired.  I am still PLENTY worn out from teaching all day.  Allow me to decide for myself whether my feelings are real or not.

If a child stubbed its toe and started crying about how much it hurt, you wouldn’t snicker and say, “oh, just wait until you break a bone” (unless you’re a terrible human being).  You would say something along the lines of, “oh, that looks painful.  How can I help you?”

Why can’t we do the same with adults?  Sure, the unemployed college student may be complaining about their workload and that may seem like a very petty thing if you work three jobs or have seventeen children or who-knows-what, but think about when you were in a similar situation.  Think about how stressful life seemed at the time.  Did you want to be told something akin to, “well you need to quit whining because you ain’t seen nothin’ yet and you’re not really in pain, you just think you are because you haven’t experienced life enough?”  (Oh, how it pained me to put that question mark there…but I couldn’t leave that beginning question hanging.)

Maybe people say things like that because the person being addressed never really calls you out on belittling them.  I sure don’t.  When people use the “wait until you’re a mother” line on me I’ll just smile pitifully and agree that, yeah, they’re probably right.  I will be more tired when I’m a mother.  Inside I get upset, but I’m so non-confrontational that I just push that feeling down until it comes bursting out in diary entries or nightly conversations with The Man or a blog post.

So here’s my burst: Stop telling me that my feelings are not real.  Stop telling ANYONE that their feelings are not real.  If they say they’re stressed, take their word for it.  If you can’t comfort them yourself, throw chocolate or video games or spa coupons or paintball gear at them.  For the love of huckleberry ice cream though, do NOT tell them to nut up or shut up.  It makes us feel like worthless stupid whiners.  We’re stressed/tired/heartbroken/depressed/worried enough as it is.


“Mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort” –Mosiah 8:19.  If someone’s having a hard time, let’s agree as a species to sympathize with them instead of telling them to grow up.  Let’s get back to that human decency thing I’ve heard so much about.  Agreed?

1 comment: