Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Perfection of Imperfection

For some reason Stormageddon has decided that it's not going to let me sleep comfortably anymore, even though I'm not that far along and my belly isn't that big.  Due to that inconvenience, I have a lot of time to think in bed now.  Tonight I was thinking about my family.

My family has seen some trials.  These people that I love have dealt with divorces, drug addictions, alcohol abuse, jail time, houses burning down, the mistreatment that can come with homosexuality, and much more.  They are truly incredible.  And it's going to sound cruel of me to say this, but I am so glad that I've been able to see my family struggle.

For one, their struggles have taught me what it means to be strong.  I have seen (or heard about) how my family members have reacted in the face of trials, and it is beyond impressive.  Whatever the problem, my relatives seem to be able to face it head-on and kick its butt.  They don't whine and cry and mope about, they deal with the situation and get on with life.  I'm so impressed by them.

Their struggles have also taught me compassion.  I can't say that all drug addicts are stupid and useless because someone I love has had that exact struggle.  I can't say that every divorcee just didn't try enough in their marriage because I've seen how hard they try to keep things together.  I can't say that everyone below the middle class is just lazy and not trying hard enough because I have family members in that category, and they work harder than most people I know.  My family's struggles have taught me that every situation is unique, every person has someone who loves them, and judgmentally stereotyping is totally unfair.

I am so grateful for my imperfect family.  I'm grateful for their examples, for their acceptance, and for their love.  They may not be perfect, but I wouldn't have them any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment