Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Stormageddon's 2nd Photo Shoot

Today is my halfway point in the pregnancy; I bought myself some popsicles as a reward.  The Man and I also went to the ObGyn today for the anomaly/anatomy ultrasound on Stormageddon.  The last time we saw Stormy it looked like a grey jellybean, so we were pretty excited to see an actual humanoid creature in there.  And it turns out the glossiness of the photos they give you is SUPER annoying when you're trying to take a picture of them, hence the reason you can see my reflection in many of these.

Anyways.
Stormageddon's lovely face.  When I saw that eye, I was a little creeped out.  No less creeped out now.  I guess looking bad in photos is hereditary.  In this picture you're being looked at straight-on, and you can see a bit of the thoracic cavity to the right (virtual high-five if you can see one of the heart's chambers).  

Side note: Stormageddon was so dang squirmy that even the ultrasound tech was a little frazzled by it.  She kept trying to take pictures and an arm would jump in to block the shot, or the entire baby would flip.  She turned to me at one point and said incredulously, "can you feel it moving like this all the time?"  I smiled and said, "oh yeah."  Seriously, this kid is a mover.  Kind of scared for when it comes out.


A side view of our squirmer.  Already looking kind of like me; my family's pretty well-known for our large noses.  I thought it was weird how the whole bottom half of Stormy's face jutted out like that, but after comparing with other 20 week ultrasounds I determined this is normal.  Wow, I AM shallow...

And lastly, the big reveal.  Baby's first chance for public indecency.  Before I show the picture, I have to tell you some stories though.

When I was little my mum showed us the thread and needle trick for gender determination.  She says it predicted all of her kids in order (quite a feat when there's nine of them).  According to the thread and needle, I was going to have a girl first.  Then when I was about nine weeks along, my dad told me that he'd seen my baby in his mind.  It was a girl, and she was tiny with delicate facial features.  When I first heard the heartbeat, it was around 155 beats/minute, and Mum told me that was a sure sign of a female.  The Man has been hoping for a little girl, and he was pretty sure that's what we were going to have because both his sisters had girls first.  All the wives' tales pointed to me having a girl: craving sweets, throwing up more, looking haggard, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.  My coworkers bought me some diapers and a little pink outfit.  So I wasn't too surprised to see: 



PENIS!  No, not THAT big; that's a leg :P

See, when everyone was counting on me having a girl, I wasn't so sure.  I kept telling them that wives' tales were full of crap and my baby could be either no matter what.  Hurrah for my little rebel!

Since I am an educated and classy adult, I sent my dad the picture you see above with the only text being the word "penis" over and over again.

When I dropped The Man off at campus after the visit, he was really sad and quiet.  I asked him what was wrong; turns out he REALLY wanted a girl.  I smiled sadly, hugged him, and whispered in his ear, "well, you know it's all your fault he's a boy, right?"  Because I am an evil spouse.

So, Stormageddon is healthy and super active and has a Y chromosome.  Science!

2 comments:

  1. I knew it!! Yay!!! I'm so excited for you. Boys are so much fun :) Congrats. I enjoyed your long, drawn out post (and I didn't even skip to the end.) All of those old wive's tails (and my dreams) were wrong for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to show this to my entire family because everyone is so convinced I'm having a girl (heartrate 160, carrying high, throwing up a lot, pencil test etc) and I'm skeptical.

    ReplyDelete