Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The Mating Season – P.G. Wodehouse

Do you remember back in the day when the internet was shiny and new and “Ask Jeeves” was the search engine of choice?  The image next to the search bar was a nicely-dressed, well-groomed butler.  Did you ever wonder where Jeeves got off being such a know-it-all?

Wonder no more!

I was first introduced to Wodehouse’s work through my little sister, albeit in an indirect manner.  In his younger days Hugh Laurie did a television show called “Jeeves and Wooster.”  And it is wonderful.  The show is based around 1925 or so and focuses on one of the ‘idle rich’ – Wooster – and his manservant Jeeves.  Wooster is a bit of an ass (his words, not mine), and Jeeves is a wealth of knowledge who often uses Wooster as a pawn to accomplish certain things.  If you are good at deciphering strong and fast British accents, this is the show for you.  In fact, try it out right now!  If you hover over the picture it can take you to Amazon's website, where you can watch it online!  

The first few minutes are kinda meh, but stick it out; totally worth it!
So the covers of the DVDs all say that the series is based off a series of books by P.G. Wodehouse, and as a bibliophile I decided that I needed to get my hands on some of those books.

The first book I read was called The Mating Season.  Not only is the plot delightfully farcical, but the characters are well-done, the vocabulary is stimulating, and the voice of Wooster (the narrator) is ridiculously fun.

For example:
“I say ‘the ghost of Jeeves’ because in that first awful moment that was what I had the apparition docketed as.  The words ‘What ho!  A spectre!’ trembled on my lips, and I reacted rather like the heroine of Murder At Greystone Grange on discovering that the Thing had come to doss in her room.  I don’t know if you have ever seen a ghost, but the general effect is to give you quite a start.
“Then the scent of bacon floated to the nostrils, and feeling that it was improbable that a wraith would be horsing about the place with dishes of eggs and b., I calmed down a bit.  That is to say, I stopped upsetting the tea and was able to mutter.  It is true that all I said was ‘Jeeves!’ but that wasn’t such bad going for one whose tongue had so recently been tangled up with the uvula, besides cleaving to the roof of the mouth.”

In this particular story, Wooster is asked by his aunt to stay with a family in the country.  His frenemy Gussie is supposed to go as well (ordered by Gussie’s fiancée), but is jailed at the last minute.  To save Gussie’s good name Wooster goes to the house pretending to be Gussie.  Then the real Gussie shows up and has to pretend to be Wooster.  In the middle you have about four pairs of star-crossed lovers all mixed up in each other, a hunting song, the “coshing” of a policeman, dog-snatching, movie stars, and much else.  And you can get it in paperback form from Amazon super cheap! 
Hover and click.  Hover and click.

In this case I really don’t know if the book is better than the television series.  On one hand, the book can go more in depth and you get even more Wooster (my favorite part), but Hugh Laurie does such an awesome job of capturing Wooster’s voice and Stephen Fry is the best Jeeves ever.  My advice?  Partake of both.  You will not regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment