Friday, July 31, 2015

Book Review for 'Feed' by Mira Grant

So I have this zombie…obsession?  Infatuation?  Extreme interest?  Whatever it is.  I have it.

The sciencey side of me is just so interested in what could make zombies actually work.  I mean, every zombie fan has probably heard about the fungal infection commonly seen in ants that (to use layman’s terms) infects their brains so they climb to the highest point possible and then explodes out of their bodies and spreads the spores to the wind.  And that’s real life!!!!

I just get so excited when I learn about new diseases (or new sides to old diseases) that could possibly make zombies.  It’s incredibly fascinating to me and I’m getting excited just typing about this.

ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!

Okay.  I need to calm down.

Ooohhhhhhhmmmmmm.

I just finished this book.  Aaaaand…it’s awesome.  And zombies.  And politics.  And conspiracies.  And plot twists (but EXACTLY HOW I WOULD HAVE ENDED IT!!!).  Agh, calming down did not work.

So this book is called Feed, and it’s written by Mira Grant.  It’s the first book in a trilogy.  And tomorrow I am getting books two and three and then locking myself in my room and forcing The Man to take care of Stormageddon for the rest of the day because ermahgerd.


Bear in mind, I was not all this excited about the book for the first…250 pages.  I know, that’s a long time to keep reading a book that you’re not all that interested in, but I’d heard good things and I wanted to figure out why.  And it was worth it.  The last 320ish pages were awesome.

The story is narrated by a blogger.  Zombies have risen, blah-de-blah, the world is moving on with life while also dealing with the constant threat of the walking dead, and bloggers have become the most reliable news source.  So this blogger and her team (brother and friend) have been selected to follow a senator on his campaign trail to become the president of the United States.  Everything’s going great, the senator is an awesome guy, and then disaster hits after one of his rallies and lots of people “go grey” and lots of people die.  The team moves on with life, continues the trail, more disaster hits (this is where it starts to become interesting).  Then conspiracies are unveiled.  Then more disasters.  Then death and destruction and disaster and intrigue and ZOMBIES!!!!!!! 

Grant’s a pretty good writer.  She went out on shooting ranges, staged fight scenes, audited epidemiology courses, and more to write this book.  The brother/sister relationship is a little strange, but forgivable.  I mean, they’re each the only person the other has, so it’s kinda understandable why they’re so attached to each other.  I don’t know where I was going with that.

Anyway.  Grant writes convincing action scenes, almost Rowling-worthy emotional scenes (but not quite – this book didn’t make me cry), and it’s easy to get caught up in her writing (after all the character introductions and stuff are done).

If you like apocalyptic/political drama/zombie/question authority books, this is a good one.

I’m just hoping books two and three can jump right into the action since we’ll already know all the characters.

ZOMBIES!


Okay, I’m done.  I promise.

2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha, you finished it today?? I'll have to check it out for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited to read it! Have you read World War Z? How does it compare?

    ReplyDelete