Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Book Review - Doug TenNapel's Ghostopolis

So I got this sci-fi book called The Dispossessed  for Book Reviews-day Tuesday, but…it kinda sucked, in my opinion.  There are very few books that I won’t power through and finish, but this is one of them.  I was all excited for it too – cool title, interesting premise (scientist trying to bring two nations that hate each other together), award-winning author – I just wasn’t all that interested in her writing style.  She’s a little too flowery and philosophical for me.  Does this mean I’m uncultured?  Probably.

I DO have a book for you though.  Just be aware, it IS a kids’ book.  Because I’m uncultured. 


It’s called Ghostopolis and it’s pretty much written for 12-year-old boys, which means I love it.  You’ve got this kid who is accidentally transported to the land of the dead, the “Supernatural Immigration Task Force” detective who transports as well to try and bring the boy home, a skeleton king, Benedict Arnold, an evil dictator who has incredible powers, a touching family relationship, and poop jokes.  I mean, come on.  Who wouldn’t love this?

Oh, and did I mention it’s a comic book?  Because it is.  And it’s awesome.

The author/illustrator is Doug TenNapel, and I currently have holds on every single book of his at our public library.  His work is colorful, artistic, and full of all the necessary comic book words (FUMM, VZZZT, THUMPA-DA THUMPA-DA, PLOP, FOOM, SPLAM and more).  I guess you’d really call it a graphic novel though, because it’s 267 pages.  Seriously though, quick read - The Man is a slow reader and he had it done in just over an hour.  He also gave it a positive review, in case you were wondering.

I think I love it so much because it’s inventive, it’s really well-drawn, it’s emotional at parts, and really I think most kids would enjoy it a ton.  And adults.  Because I’m an adult.  No, it’s not all that intellectually stimulating, but still…FUN.  Much more fun than The Dispossessed, at any rate.  Stormageddon even enjoys it!

A sample from the book (and The Man’s favorite line):

Bad Guy: I have one thing you don’t have that gives me the advantage.
Good Guy: Diarrhea?

And I really can’t top that so here ends my post.  Buy this book


.


No comments:

Post a Comment